Saturday, April 16, 2011

One Success

Last weekend I had a very successful Sunday, but a very UN- successful Saturday. My roommate Kim had a birthday two weeks ago and so last week we, as roommates, were celebrating! I was so excited because I was making her cake- a homemade coconut cake! It did not sound absolutely delicious to me but the fact that I was baking a cake from scratch for the first time seemed like quite an adventure (I am slightly obsessed with baking)! Not to mention-Stefan and I have been watching an episode, or two, of cake boss each night and I have had a deep desire to build a beautiful cake.
So I started to mix the batter and once finished I tried it (duh) and it was the MOST amazing batter I had ever tasted. I made everyone in the room come and sample the deliciousness. After it had baked I dyed the frosting pink and decorated it with strawberries and raspberries-my own personal touch. I must say, it was one of the best desserts I had every tasted. I got impatient and frosted it a little early so the cake wasn't completely cool- so it could have been more beautiful but it tasted divine and that's all that matters, right? 


Try the coconut cake for yourself! It will be worth your time- I promise!

 Luscious Coconut Cream Cake

1 cup butter                                                    
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups sugar                                               
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. buttermilk
1/2 tsp coconut flavoring
3/4 cup coconut 
5 egg yolks      
5 egg whites, stiffly beaten
2 1/4 cup flour 

In large bowl cream butter & sugar thoroughly. Add flavorings & egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. In small bowl combine dry ingredients. Add to butter mixture alternately with milk. Blend in coconut. Beat egg whites & fold into batter. Pour into 3 greased & floured round cake pans. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean (check a little earlier than 20). Cool 10 minutes, in pan, then remove & cool completely on rack. 

FROSTING

1/2 cup butter                                                  
1/4 tsp. coconut flavoring
8 oz. cream cheese, softened                        
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla                                                  
3/4 cup coconut 

In bowl cream together butter, cream cheese, & flavorings. Gradually add owdered sugar, beating until smooth. Spread between layers, on top, & sides of cake. Sprinkle coconut on top. 
*Then I added strawberries and raspberries which made it delicious!

Today I am making coconut cream cupcakes, homemade apple pie, and chocolate chip cookies :) Linger Longer bake off in church tomorrow! 

Happy Baking!

1 comment:

Marchele said...

The cake looks beautiful... and delicious!!! I miss your face!